Tuesday, July 05, 2022

Expert Content Strategist Reveals All: A Comprehensive FAQ on My Work


What is your background in content creation? 

After a career in teaching, I gained experience in creating content for websites, blogs, and social media. I have a background in different styles of learning and intelligence types, which I use to tailor my writing for diverse audiences. In 2008, I added social media to my skillset and began offering social media marketing and content consulting services under the name Zero Bubble Media. In 2014, I was employed as a Chief Content Strategist for a successful educational technology company, where I was responsible for creating a clear and easy-to-understand "common language" for their product. Today, as GliderCell, I offer content and copywriting services, including narrative creation, website content editing, manuscript writing, and content restructuring.

What kind of services do you offer as a UX Content Strategist? 

I offer a variety of content and copywriting services, including narrative creation, website content editing, manuscript writing, and content restructuring. I also have experience in technical writing, UI, UX, IA, and creating "story brands." My goal is to help clients improve their online presence through high-quality and SEO-friendly content.

Can you describe your role in a recent project? 

I recently completed a video editing project for Treasury Curve, a financial technology firm based in Silicon Valley. In this project, I was responsible for producing content and narrative around the CEO's experience as a panelist at a major financial conference.  You can see a sample of that here


What is the primary goal of UX content strategy and writing according to you? 

 

The primary goal of UX content strategy and writing, in my opinion, is to serve as a helpful guide to the user, making them feel welcomed and comfortable with the content, process, and navigation system. My aim is to empower and engage the user and help them take the necessary steps easily, always keeping the customer at the center of everything.This all requires clear, actionable writing, persuasion and attention to details. 

What is your process for creating UX content?

I follow these steps:

  1. Discovery: Gather information from key players and clients to understand the background, message, desired user experience, and desired action to be taken. This is done through questionnaires, audio recordings, or conversations.
  2. Verbalizing the design: Visualize the website and verbalize the design and content using Otter App.
  3. Sketching/wireframing: Write or sketch the design and use graphical tools to create a mockup of the final version.
  4. Collaboration with web designers: Provide the mock up to web designers to understand the intended design and functionality of the site.

How do you balance user and organizational goals in UX writing?

I approach UX writing with the user at the forefront, putting their aspirations, needs and emotions first. Inspired by the principles outlined in "Building a Story Brand" by Donald Miller, I aim to create a personalized and user-centric experience. This means considering what the user is thinking and feeling as they navigate the website, and making their journey as smooth and helpful as possible. By putting the user first, I can then effectively integrate the organization's goals into the content, creating a cohesive and effective UX writing strategy. I strive to create a website that feels like a conversation with a responsive and friendly customer service representative.

Yes, I have extensive experience conducting content reviews and audits. I have a proven track record of streamlining web and social media content to increase efficiency and effectiveness. I have a structured approach to content review, creating a "content matrix" to categorize information according to theme, purpose, usage, and intended audience. I have worked with teams including engineers, UX designers, graphics designers, sales, and management to revise and improve content for both SmartEdTech and Treasury Curve. I have even worked directly with CEOs, ensuring their vision is reflected in the final content. My skills in content review and audit make me well-equipped to provide valuable insights and recommendations for your organization. 

How do you work with UX designers? 

Great question! Communication is key when it comes to working with UX designers. I actually learned a lot about UX designers when I gave a presentation to the UX team at Cisco Systems in San Jose. I was there to talk about brainstorming techniques, and one of the topics we discussed was their communication challenges with the engineering team in China.

I understand that every person has their own unique personality, intelligence type, and way of processing information, so just like I would adjust my lesson plans to cater to different types of learners, I also adjust the way I communicate with UX designers. That's why I came up with the HikeStorming program, where people go for a hike and finish their thoughts or ideas on something while they're on the trail. It's a great way to communicate and collaborate with others in a unique and creative environment.

So, when I'm working with UX designers, I like to keep an open mind and be flexible with my communication style to make sure we're on the same page and that our goals are aligned. I also make sure to consider the language, culture, and personality types involved in the process, and I find ways to bridge any gaps in communication. And who knows, maybe we'll even incorporate some musical sound bites to convey the flow of the design!

Do you have experience crafting content for regulated industries?

Yes, I have experience in crafting content for regulated industries. I have written web content, social media content, and press releases for the launch of Umergence, a crowdfunding and crowdsourcing platform registered as a broker/dealer with FINRA. I also have experience as a content strategist for Treasury Curve, a FinTech company, since 2016. In both cases, I follow best practices for compliance and ensure that content is approved by the relevant stakeholders before release.

Any final thoughts on your style as a content strategist?

 I like to make communication as clear and efficient as possible. To achieve this, I use a variety of methods such as sending audio recordings with transcripts, sharing visual aids like Google docs, slides or Canva designs, holding Zoom meetings with sketches or designs, providing examples from other websites, having in-person meetings, or making phone calls. While basic text like email or messaging can be useful for certain things, I've found that it can often lead to miscommunication and miss the nuances that make humor and irony effective. That's why I prefer to use a variety of communication methods to make sure everything is clear and understood.

No comments: